"Well-equipped, spacious, and comfortable cabins, superb fishing, and outstanding hospitality are a trifecta that will be yours with a trip to Central Lake. Steve, Evie, and Nathan call Central Lake their summer home and they go out of their way to insure your stay will be filled with fond memories. The opportunity to fish in a remote region of Northwest Ontario and to enjoy the special comradship of a shore lunch awaits those who venture to Central Lake. The walleyes are always hungry and so it seems are the fishermen. Central Lake is a great place for family and friends to share in the experience and adventure of a true Canadian wilderness fly-in fishing camp."
— Messar Party
Main Base Camp
The hub of Big Hook Wilderness Camps, Central Lake provides its guests with continuous electricity generated by three windmills and eighteen solar panels. Here you will find a shower, sauna and guide service. Central Lake is known for its slender channels running north, south, east, and west in the shape of a plus sign. These narrow channels provide plenty of cover for fisherman on windy days. The approximate size of Central is nine miles long by six miles wide. Average depth is thirty feet accompanied with numerous shoals and expansive weed beds. Four scenic rapids spill into Central, while one exits. Boats and motors are available on all of the portages. This allows you to explore many great fishing holes and experience miles of true Canadian boreal forest. Fish stay active on this lake all summer long thanks to the large amount of water flowage.
Species of Fish Available: Walleye, Northern
Portages: 5, boats and motors available
The housekeeping cabins at Central Lake are equipped with:
- 14' and 16' Lund boats with seats and 15 hp Yamaha 4 stroke motors
- life vests, fish nets and gas
- solar lights, fridge, freezer and propane stove
- wood heater and hot and cold running water
- complete cooking and eating utensils
- beds with foam mattress and pillows
- propane grills and fish cookers
- weekly fish fry
- emergency satellite phone
- free wi-fi internet
- staple foods including: pork and beans, canned vegetables, peaches/pears, powdered juice, ice, jelly, onions, coffee, mustard,syrup, pancake mix, sugar, dry onion soup mix, potatoes, salt and pepper, lard or cooking oil, ketchup, scouring pads, dish washing soap, toilet paper and handi-wipes.